How to Hire and Promote Postdocs
In this section, you will find information to assist you in the hiring, promotion, or extension of a postdoctoral scholar. Once you have selected a candidate from a pool of applicants, you will need to follow the procedures and policies provided. It is important to note, Carolina has one of the more competitive postdoc minimum stipends in the country. Still, we strongly encourage faculty mentors to consider the individual candidate's experience level and the NIH Salary Scale, when appointing a postdoctoral scholar.
- Sample Appointment Letter to Postdoctoral Scholar
- Sample Re-Appointment Letter to Postdoctoral Scholar
- Minimum Stipend= $37,088
- Criminal Conviction Check Form
- NIH Salary Scale
- Search for forms necessary for hiring postdocs on the HR website's Form Finder. Necessary forms include: AP2s, I-9, certification for FICA exemption (only for rank code 27), tax forms (NC-4 and W-4), direct deposit forms, PR-100 form (applicable for non-resident aliens).
Procedures for appointment may be in place within your department. Please check with your departmental HR Facilitator regarding this procedure.
If the candidate is an international scholar there are additional forms that will need to be completed. For further information please contact the Office of International Scholar Services (919) 962-5661.
Annual Performance Evaluation
According to the postdoctoral policy, a mentor of a Postdoctoral Scholar must complete an annual written evaluation of the Scholar’s performance. This process should be simple and must include the opportunity for the Scholar to respond in writing to the evaluation.
The UNC Postdoctoral Scholar Evaluation Form is provided as a guideline.
This chart (download) provides information on potential promotion options for current UNC postdocs nearing the end of the 5-year limit. You may choose to discuss this with administrators in your school or college to determine whether one of these positions might be a viable option for you.
- Procedure for Appointing a Postdoctoral Fellow to Research Associate
- Sample Appointment Letter for Research Associates
To request an extension of appointment (beyond the five year limit) for a postdoctoral trainee, complete this form and submit it to Taylor Libby, HR Consultant for the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research, CB #4000, email@example.com, Fax: (919) 962-5011.